Friday, August 16, 2013

Essential Kits for a successful breastfeeding

To a successful breastfeeding journey .. these are the important kits that you need to have. (errmm, I mean I need to have) It's already 3 months now, and I'm still moo-ing happily. And we are still going strong. I've given myself a target of 6 months first.. and once I meet this target, I will set another 6 months .. hopefully, I can successfully bf my baby at least to his first birthday! Praying for a really smooth journey, no mastitis, no blocked ducts, no cracked nipples. Keep my fingers crossed....

Here is a list of things you may want to put in your shopping list.. But you may not need to buy many of these after all. If you are fully breastfeeding...

1) Baby

 Well, this is not a kit. But baby... my baby boy! The most effective way to empty your breast is through your baby. Your baby's suck works way better than a breastpump. A 10 mins of direct feed is equivalent to your 20-30mins of your pumping. That was why I prefer so much to direct feed than pump.. I save a lot of time. I don't need to wash/sterilize pumping equipments/bottles. Especially midnight feed!

2) Breastpump
A lot of breast pumps available out there in the market. Remember, get a double pump because in long run, if you plan to breastfeed for a long long time, it saves a lot of your time! And if you are a full time working mom with a tight schedule, you really need a double pump. Choose one that suits you. If you want to test which pump suits you, drive to the shop named ENJOY BREASTFEED in Klang. A variety of breast pumps available for you to test, and... you can buy them at a very cheap price. Cheaper than anywhere else. I bought my Ameda Lactaline dual pump from there! With lots of free gifts as well.

3) Fridge to Go/Cooler Bag with Ice Packs


 I bought a cooler bag, also known as Fridge to Go from Pigeon brand and I love it so much. As a full time working mom, I need a cooler bag to transfer the milk from office to home and from home to babysitters'. I like this Pigeon cooler because it fits baby bottles, and I can even add on ice packs which I bought from Daiso. Only RM5 in Daiso.. and the ice packs work way better than the one given by Pigeon. So.. get some and add inside the cooler bag.

4) Nipple cream

A nipple therapy. This cream is my life saver, especially I'm a pumping mom during the day. It helps to prevent sore/cracked nipples. And so far, after applying this cream.. no injury on the nipple. *happy*

5) Storage Bottles

This is the storage bottles that I use to store the breastmilk and freeze them in the freezer. The process of storing/freezing breastmilk is important and do read them up so that you know the right way to store your breastmilk safely. Just Googled it up and you will get a lot of useful information. Alternatively, you can use storage bags.. but I still prefer storage bottles. And I do have a fridge dedicated just for breastmilk so that I do not freeze the breastmilk together with the raw meat.

6) Nursing Bras

You will need this for easy feed especially when you are out and about. Just unclip one side and feed. And remember, don't get one with underwired because it will promote plugged ducts.

7) Washable/Disposable Bra Pads

I would suggest to get washable bra pads that in long run, you save a lot. In fact I don't really use this ... I'm not the one with oversupply problem that leaks all the time. =D

8) Nursing tank top with pads

  This tank top is pretty useful and I used to wear it most of the time when I'm outside. Get the one with bra pads. Only one clip and you are ready to feed your baby. Furthermore, it covers your tummy and you do not have to pull your shirt up to nurse. Get this from fabulousmom.com.

9) Nursing Cover

Some mothers do not need this sheet of fabric that covers the baby while nursing and attaches around your neck so that it doesn’t fall off.But .... I need it. I don't feel comfortable nursing in public if I do not have this cover in hand. Most of the time, I will look for a nursing room. If I desperately need to feed, then I would use this nursing cover. The only last option that I will do, if I couldn't find any nursing rooms nearby. I bought Lilie Pilie and I like the wired neck so that I can peek at my baby.

10) Nursing Pillow

I don't find this useful, I bought one and I don't use it at all. Most of the time my baby finishes one side in 10mins.. so I don't even bother to use. In the end, it's collecting dust.

Well, none of these stuffs are essential for a nursing mom. But if you think you need it, then you get it. But sometimes when you get it, you don't use it. =D

0 comments:

Post a Comment