Sunday, June 14, 2009

Lo Mai Kai @ Sticky Glutinous Rice

I believe chang season is over now and I wish if I would know how to wrap all the ingredients in the leaf but I haven't reach that level yet. One day I hope.. Lo mai kai is just like chang, just that both are cooked in different way and most importantly, it is much more easier! I'm bored with always eating the same food and why not try something different. I even tried my own pau and it can only be eaten when it's hot or just out from the steam oven. If you leave the paus overnight, it will be as hard as a stone. =D
First of all, you need to soak the pulut rice overnight. Then steam over medium/low heat for 30mins. Fry shallots and garlic until fragrant, add in the steamed pulut rice, stir well and add in the seasoning like light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, a dash of salt, some pepper, oyster sauce, and a little of chicken stock. Stir well and you're done with the rice making!

To prepare for the chicken, you can marinade the chicken with some soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil and pepper and leave them overnight. Fry shallots and garlic, and stir fry the chicken and add in mushroom. Add a little bit of cornflour to thicken whatever little bit of sauce there is. Finally, lay out the chicken and mushroom at the bottom of the pan (I'm actually using baking non-stick pan). Put the rice on top and press it down with a spoon until compact. Make sure it is really compact otherwise you will not have sticky glutinuous rice. Add little bit of water (not too much, just to moisten it a bit) and steam for another 30 minutes or so.

After 30-40 mins, it turned out this! Successful?? Hehehe...

And I overturned the pan... look at the yummy chicken! Hubby said: Wow, where can get such lo mai kai with plentiful of chicken outside? Haha...

Aih, one of the failure is I didn't compress well enough so that rice didn't stick well. Anyway, learn from mistake. First try and it turned out this.. not bad rite. I still have half a packet of pulut rice and when is the next time I shall cook this?

4 comments:

  1. looks nice.......when r u having an open house carysse??:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. open house ar... hahaa. let's have durian feast as open house! Ok or not? hehehe..... but i dunno how to choose, usually i will trust the ahpek seller to choose for me.. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wahaha..tis lo mai kai seem good...when can i try ah?? i jus had durian when i back inmalaysia le...meaning b4 tis trip oo...treated by his aunt..wahhaa..n sz u know wat..the durian is superb..ahhaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. CL : looks good, but too salty and not really compact. Haha... I'm realy missing durian la... can't wait for the 3 for RM10... I know is superb la, Im going penang for durian also. then go for char kuey teow, asam laksa, cendol, seafood, dimsum, wedding food... hahaha... sure u're slurping over there rite. hehe =D

    ReplyDelete