Sunday, May 24, 2009

2nd attempt of Huat Kuih and Pau

I love trying something new, but always, the 1st attempt will not work as it should. Just like the very first time I baked muffins and it became charcoal muffins instead of chocolate. Check out the charcoal muffin at: Charcoal Muffins and please give me mercy, no laughing pls. Practice makes perfect and that's what I believed. Hopefully I will not need forever to implement the "Practice makes perfect". Oh God, please give me more wisdom and skills. =)

Huat Kuih
This was my 2nd try for huat kuih. And this time I substituted pandan juice instead of plain water. The taste was much more better and smells really good and refreshing! Most importantly, Justin loves this! Usually he will not eat plain huat kuih, but pandan huat kuih, he said "Good". What a great compliment. This time, the cake was much better compared to last time, just that too wet at the bottom. Too much water maybe? And the 3rd try I shall add lesser water. Ish, have to go to try 3. Hopefully no try 4 yea. Hehe....
Plain Pau


I made these pau today and I started off with just a plain pau. Failed making meat pau in the first try and now, didn't want to go so much deeper into meat pau or kaya pau or whatever because I will not know if this time will be succesful or not. No pics for the first pau making because they were way toooo ugly and no guts to post them up.
After 1 hour, the paus were rising really good..... so happy to see them growing bigger and bigger.

After steaming for 15 mins, the paus were really good looking when the cover was still on, but after I lifted up the cover, the paus started to shrink and "Oh No! Stop shrinking!!!" I quickly covered them back, unfortunately the structure was already destroyed. Sigh! Making paus are just like this, if it is a succesful pau, then it will not shrink. I usually call it AHMA looking when I failed. At least it still taste good, quite elastic compared to the first time structure that was as hard as stone. I will need to call my mom later why it shrinks when I lifted up the cover. Maybe I have to lift up slowly so that there won't be sudden change in pressure/temperature? I dunno....
Still, thumbs up for me? Hahaha....

9 comments:

  1. at least it's edible now...hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...ur muffins..SO CUTE! :P

    ehh....usually..whatever u make..if u dont want it to shrink, u have to shut off the fire / oven before u open the cover, once it cools down, you can open the cover...then it won't shrink.....and u mustn't peep at it...it will only cause it to become more AHMA...:P

    but it looks ok la...hehehee......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warghh..I believe justin can easily finish them all..it looked so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haaha.... yea, forced him to eat half of it for dinner. Hahaha... =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. wah..nice la..haha..keep out good work..hehe..but when i read it..i laugh...seeing ur pau like tis..hehe..nect outing do few for me to eat ya...hehhee

    ReplyDelete
  6. CL : nice ah.. haha. only the pandan huat kuih looks good. Dun laugh at my home made pau la.. haha, you should try,then only you understand all the sweat tat i poured in.. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wooahhh. yr paos really look nice here!I look at it also feel like tapuk tapuk it. must ask for yr recipe this time, hahaa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaha... Siew hoon, wat is tapuk tapuk? look at the kedut kedut pau and you still wan recipe from me? hahahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  9. o! tapuk means tepuk,hahaa...sorry, i spelled it wrongly(:-D.
    hahaaa,kedut nmind,as long it can b eaten is considered good aldy. now you only need to improve the outlook..:-)

    ReplyDelete