Sunday, July 12, 2015

Homemade Pandan Kaya

I enjoy baking bread, and we all love to toast the bread and spread a thick layer of kaya on top. It's so delicious. My mom in law harvested a big stalk of pandan leaves and I'm just so excited to blend and try to cook my first homemade kaya. 

 Look at the long long green green pandan leaves. Blend the coconut milk with pandan leaves and extract out the juice.

 Cook the mixture over the double boiler. It's so much easier this way, you do not have to stir all the time.

 The color is getting darker and darker after 30-45 mins.

 Done! The home made kaya is ready to be spread on the toasted bread!

 My first try : The texture is pretty smooth. Except I don't really like the santan smell, perhaps I should try again using freshly squeezed santan and not on-the-shelves santan.


Here's where I adopted the recipe:
Nasi Lemak Lover

Ingredients

3 large eggs (lightly beaten)
250g caster sugar
350ml coconut milk
8pcs pandan leaves

Steps
1. Blend pandan leaves and coconut milk in a blender. Strain .
2. Add sugar into beaten eggs, use a hand whisk to stir mixture until sugar dissolves - lightly stir
3. Mix the pandan coconut milk with the mixture of sugar and eggs.
4. Sift the kaya mixture into another mixing bowl.
5. Place mixing bowl over another pot of boiled water on low heat, stir kaya mixture occasionally. I placed it on top of a kuali instead since I do not have bigger pot. Stir every 1-2 mins.
4. It took at least 1hour to cook till desired thickness. Cool completely before store in a clear jar and keep in the fridge.

0 comments:

Post a Comment