Monday, September 2, 2013

The ugly side of Parenting

Yelling!

Automatically when something frustrates you, you yelled. Little did we know the side effects of yelling, especially yelling at your kids. A permanent marker in their life, the Yelling marker. The ugly side of parenting is by raising your voice. I lost my patience a couple of times and after finished yelling, I scooped her up, wiped her tears and gave her a kiss. I felt bad. I know, being loud is just like a noisy gong/cymbal. No love. No message transferred. 

“Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.” — Rumi

One of the biggest reason toddlers misbehave because they still haven't learn the right approach to express their feelings. Newborn babies, when they are upset, they cry. When they are hungry, they cry. When their diaper is wet, they cry. And why do we yell at them?"Our goal as parents should be to teach our children how to effectively express themselves by validating their feelings without validating their behavior," LaRowe says.

Are you hurt when someone yells at you? Of course; so why wouldn't your child be?
"Our goal as parents should be to teach our children and to build them up, not to tear them down. When we yell at our children we risk damaging their self-esteem and sense of self-worth," LaRowe says. Consider how you'd feel if your boss yelled at you. You'd likely be embarrassed and hurt. LaRowe points out that often you don't have a chance to process what your boss is saying because of how it was said. The same goes for your child. You want to be able to teach him what is acceptable and what is not without making him feel shame or embarrassment.
{quoted from Parents.com

Today, I'm learning to yell less and love more (inspired by Orange Rhino). It's not easy, especially when your little one does something that makes your blood boiling, and when your patience are already at the verge of explosion. But. By His grace, I can be the best mom for my children.. and definitely, I will try to be one.

I'm sorry kids, if I ever lost my patience just like that. I'm so sorry.. and I will make it up for you both, by being the best mom I can ever be, with His saving grace.

0 comments:

Post a Comment