Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Relevant Church

The Relevant Church
by Pastor Kevin Loo, City Harvest Church



Revelation 3:8
8 “I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name.

The word relevant means connected with the matter at hand.

God is the vertical relationship that we draw strength from to love, and serve those around us - our horizontal relationship.

Revelation 3:7-13
THE FAITHFUL CHURCH
7 “And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write, ‘These things says He who is holy, He who is true, “He who has the key of David, He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens”: 8 “I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name. 9 Indeed I will make those of the synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews and are not, but lie—indeed I will make them come and worship before your feet, and to know that I have loved you. 10 Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth. 11 Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown. 12 He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name. 13 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”’

The message does not change, but the methods do.

The key here is balance.

A sin is a sin.

To preach sin as if it is not our fault, blame it on the devil and that it is a human weakness is to discredit the Word of God.

James 1:14
14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.
Romans 3:23
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

God is a God of love. But He is alaso a God of justice.

Romans 6:23
23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Never sacrifice truth for relevant.

HOW TO BUILD A RELEVANT CHURCH?

1. Be who we are.
Remain as yourself and don't try to be somebody else. Appreciate the way God has created you. Our influence is our nature. We are stronger when we do what we are meant to do.

Proverbs 30:28
28 The spider skillfully grasps with its hands,
And it is in kings’ palaces.

Focusing on who we are will make our church more relevant to the society.

2. Practice our expression of faith boldly.
Through some areas of the church service can be compromised, the message must remain.

IN CITY HARVEST :
  1. We pray in tongues a lot.
    1 Corinthians 14:14
    14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.
  2. We have both loud and soft music.
  3. We preach the Word of God uncompromisingly
  4. We discipline and disciple.

0 comments:

Post a Comment