Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Banana Butter Cake

Remember in my previous post I mentioned about my expired butter? Don't worry, it only expired about 2 weeks (the smell is still alright) and I have to quickly bake a butter cake so that the butter will go inside our tummy and not the bin. My friend used to tell me that I buy things to throw, not to eat. Lol. It's quite true because I have a lot of items in the fridge that are near to the expiry date. Lesson learned, never go for groceries shopping when you are hungry! You will end up buying the whole store! 

I have few bananas that is too ripe and yucky to eat on its own, some part of the skin already turn blackish. And the idea of banana butter cake came into my mind. I started to google for the best recipe and I found this. Looks good, because I know butter cake with egg separation method is really moist and soft and delicious! Here's the recipe that I found online.

I still have two bananas left and decided to use it as decoration. Alright, the look does not do the cake justice. In actual fact, the cake is really really good. I have visitor that night and everyone praised the cake. The 6yo loved this cake so much that she wanted to bring some back. =D

Look at the super moist banana cake! The texture is so soft and fluffy. Egg separation cakes can never go wrong.. it's always the best! This recipe is definitely a keeper.

Here's the recipe that I adapted from here, posted it here for my future use. 

Ingredients A
250g unsalted butter at room temp
150g fine sugar
5 egg yolks

Ingredients B
50g g fine sugar
5 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (optional)

Ingredients C
300g plain flour (I used cake flour)
sifted with 1 tbsp milk powder + 1 tsp baking powder

Ingredients D
200g ripe bananas, mashed using a fork
a pinch of salt

Method
1) Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius. Prepare a 7-inch square pan, line the base and sides with baking paper such that the edges hang over the sides of the tin, for easier removal later. 

2) Whisk butter and 150g sugar using mixer till pale then add egg yolks one by one and mix well after each addition.

3) Add in half the sifted flour and mix using mixer at low speed briefly. Add in mashed bananas and mix briefly. Finally add in the remaining flour and mix briefly at low speed till well-incorporated. 

4) In a separate clean, dry and oil-free bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy, then add cream of tartar, followed by sugar in 3 additions. Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks.

5) Add half of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture and mix at low speed using mixer until incorporated. Add the remaining half of egg whites and FOLD using spatula.

6) Pour the batter into the prepared lined tin, smooth out the batter with a spatula and bake in preheated oven for 170C for about 60 min

7) Remove from oven and let it cool on cooling rack before serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment