Monday, June 15, 2015

Easy and Fast Chicken Rice

My grandma taught me this recipe when she stayed over my place few years ago. It was nice learning lots of cooking ropes from her. How nice if this grandma of mine lives next door.. 

Yesterday, we collected our pressure cooker from the shop after pre-order for 1 week. I was so excited to see this, and the other part of me still nervous to handle this little appliance. I'm so scared of the pressure. I scared that it will explode. And then my house got burnt. Blah.

The hubby asked what special dish I gonna cook for dinner and feeling nervous handling a PRESSURE cooker for the first time, I said I'm gonna cook you a simple meal. Soup? Initially, I planned to try soup, and I thought it was the easiest. But, in the end I changed my mind and cooked my grandma's chicken rice. After finished cooking and the mode automatically changed to "warm", I thought it was already safe that I can turn the valve to "vent" to release the pressure. I literally jumped when the pressure was released cause the sound was so loud and the pressure shot up to my kitchen's ceiling. Thank God I wasn't cooking soup that time. The hot soup might shoot up to my ceiling like a volcano and burn my hand. So thankful.

After reading experiences from the pressure cooker gurus in the forum, now I know that I do not have to turn the valve to "vent" immediately after it's finished cooking. Instead the pressure will release on its own. Just wait for 20-30 mins and when the floater is down, then only turn the valve to "vent". In this case, I won't get a pressure shooting up like volcano. I couldn't wait to try again. Hopefully this time it works as it should.

Anyway, here's the easy and fast chicken rice recipe:

Ingredients:
Half chicken chopped into pieces (marinade with dash of peppers, soya sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil)
Salt to taste
Garlic
Ginger
1 spoon of butter
Pandan Leaves

Methods:
Melt the butter in the pan and add in garlic and ginger. Stir fry until fragrant, then add in the marinated chicken. Fry for a little while and then add in rice. Stir fry again. Add some salt to taste, water and pandan leaves. That's all! Reduce the amount of water because the chicken will release some water while cooking. I used 1:1 ratio of rice:water and yet it's still a little damp. So, reduce the amount of water depends on your rice types.

 


 I used the mode Chicken and Keep pressure time 15 mins. So total cooking time is 30 mins. 

This appliance makes my life as a stay at home mom so easy. I don't have to stand in front of the stove and keep stirring. I don't have to afraid of burnt food while attending to the kids. You can even use this pressure cooker to stir fry the ingredients. Thus, a less messy kitchen to clean after cooking. Cooking is so easy now. I think this is a cheaper version of Thermomix. =D

0 comments:

Post a Comment