Thursday, April 23, 2015

Guiness Chocolate Cake topped with Cream Cheese

I have few bottles of Guinness stout leftover from the housewarming party, I don't drink.. the hubby doesn't drink that often as well. So, I've decided to try Guinness chocolate cake! Daniel's birthday party is just around the corner, I wanted to bake a cake for him, from scratch to the buttercream to the decoration. So, I gotta practice more in order to bake a perfect and nice cake. 

Here it goes.... my Guinness chocolate cake! The first impression when I told Mr Hub that I would like to bake this cake was "eee yerrrrr, Guinness? Are you sure? Will it taste good? Will it turn out to be bitter?"

Surprisingly, the end of result of this cake is so good that after the first bite, you would want more and more and more! The taste is not bitter, neither does it have any alcoholic taste. But it's so rich in chocolate and moist! The most delicious cake that I ever bake! *because I hardly bake nice cakes. haha*

 
I've to bake this cake for more than 1 hour, then only the skewer came out clean. That explains the crack? I'm not sure. I'm not a baking expert.

I turn it opposite, so the ugly look crack look will be at the bottom. Haha.

I just poured over the cream cheese mixture and oh yeah, I really gotta improve in my decorating skills. =/

Here you go! A rich and moist chocolate guinness cake! So yummy that Mr Hubby said this is the best cake ever. He suggested I can even sell it. Lol.

Here's where I adopt the recipe - Chocolate Guinness Cake

Ingredients for the cake

    250 ml Guinness
    250 grams unsalted butter
    75 grams cocoa powder
    400 grams caster sugar
    142 ml sour cream
    2 large eggs
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    275 grams plain flour
    2 ½ teaspoons bicarbonate of soda

for the topping

    300 grams cream cheese
    150 grams icing sugar
    125 ml double cream (or whipping cream)


Method
  • Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C/350ºF, and butter and line a 23cm / 9 inch spring form tin.
  • Pour the Guinness into a large wide saucepan, add the butter - in spoons or slices - and heat until the butter's melted, at which time you should whisk in the cocoa and sugar. Beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla and then pour into the brown, buttery, beery pan and finally whisk in the flour and bicarb.
  • Pour the cake batter into the greased and lined tin and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Leave to cool completely in the tin on a cooling rack, as it is quite a damp cake.
  • When the cake's cold, sit it on a flat platter or cake stand and get on with the icing. Lightly whip the cream cheese until smooth, sieve over the icing sugar and then beat them both together. Or do this in a processor, putting the unsieved icing sugar in first and blitz to remove lumps before adding the cheese.
  • Add the cream and beat again until it makes a spreadable consistency. Ice the top of the black cake so that it resembles the frothy top of the famous pint.
You can also try the recipe above with the steps below (watch the video) :
Chocolate Guinness Cake Donal Skehan
    The most easy and most yummy cake ever! ever! No regrets trying this! Really ..... =)

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment