Wednesday, March 7, 2012

22 Weeks


Date : 29 February 2012

How far along : 22 weeks

Weight : 6.5kg

Height : 64cm

Sleep : Well, she has unpredictable sleep patterns. Sometimes she can fall asleep on her own, sometimes she needs a cuddle, sometimes she needs you to be the rocker... but best of all, she does NOT cry before sleep. Thank God for it!

Food :
We decided to get the Philips steam + blend blender and we will start off with apple puree. Can't wait to try it on her and capture her first facial expression eating some semi-solid food. Hehe... And yes, she's still on EBM! Yeay!!

Talking about breastmilk, we had a scare that the supply will wean off anytime soon because of the lack of time to pump and I was sick for few days the last week. The supply dropped to half and this was a drastic change. I tried many ways to boost up the supply but with no success. I tried latch on as many times as possible, pump 1 hour on one side, drink Fenugreek.. but no, it was not improving. Finally, I decided to cook fish soup and drink HL milk everyday. Voila, we hit the jackpot!

Lesson learnt, to help with milk production.
1) Don't be negative. When I was sick, I wish I had already stopped BF because I had no energy to get up and pump. I left it to engorge and wait till I really couldn't bear the pain, and then I get up and pump. From this, the supply drop drastically even with only 3 days of not pumping on time and also, I was so sick that I kept telling myself to stop BF. Talk about the power of mind!
2) Eat proper meal and drink lots of fluid. Since I started the late shift and I have to walk to the train station, at the end of the day, I'm already flat. I don't really care about what I eat, I can eat bread for dinner or sometimes a simple mee soup which does not contains any protein, calcium or whatever nutrients. So, the milk supply drop because I didn't eat well and neither did I drink any milk/enough of fluid.
3) Smile. A happy mommy produces quality breastmilk. Stress can negatively affect milk production. What I decided to do for now, close one eye and ignore unnecessary chores, relax my standards for tidiness, sit down and close my eyes for a moment or two!


The best prescription for maximum milk production is effective and frequent breastfeeding or milk expression, plenty of fluids, adequate calories and rest.

Best moment this week :
She chuckles more often. She can sit up with support and lift up her head. She's getting louder with her hoo haa. She gets frustrated easily with her toys. Whenever you see me, you will see Ashlynn except during work. She's more clingy to me and her daddy. She's going through another phase of emotional milestones. Nobody can carry her, else she will scream to the top of her lungs. It's pretty normal for baby at this age to start fearing strangers.

Your 5-month-old baby might start fearing strangers
By month five, most babies have developed an awareness and recognition of key people around them. But they also might have a mistrust and fear of those who are not familiar. Although this fear goes away with time and is nothing to worry about, it usually helps to slowly introduce your baby to new people.

5-month-old baby developmental milestones
Every baby develops at a different pace. This is normal. But in general, by the end of the fifth month, your baby will likely be able to:
  •     Sit with support
  •     Transfer objects from one hand to another
  •     Make two-syllable sounds, such as "ah-goo"
  •     Give "raspberries" — make a razzing sound with his lips 
 Quoted from Similac

0 comments:

Post a Comment