Monday, June 25, 2012

Parenting ~ Being mom and dad

Parenting is never easy and we are all first time mom and dad. We've never learn how to be a parent and how to raise good kids and how to train them in a good manner that they will grow up to be a successful man and woman. Since the day I was conceived with baby A, I prayed daily that God will impart to me more wisdom on how to bring up our kids. I reflected how my parents brought me up to who I am today and they raised me so well that I'm indeed doing good today. I thank God for them, otherwise I do not know where I am now. I felt such a heavy responsibility to raise up our kids, their future is determined by how well we raise them. I know it's never easy and I know I can't afford to make mistake, but I'm a first-timer. All that I know is by the GRACE of God, through His words, I can do it!

For the past whole week, I've been talking and thinking about parenting. I bought myself a book "Boundaries with kids" and on the first page alone, I've received revelation. Powerful tips that I've never thought of. More to come as I continue reading. And when Ps Kevin from CHC twitted that he will preach about parenting on coming Sunday service, I was beyond thrilled as I know this message came at the right time!

Here's the preaching on Sun by Ps Kevin Loo that I managed to pen down. Read and be blessed!

Being mom and dad, you need to:

1. Seize the day.

Psalm 90:12
Teach us to number our days,
    that we may gain a heart of wisdom.


Never forget your children's birthday, graduation, school events/concerts - they care if you turn up. If your child expect you to turn up, be there. Make time for this special events.

Take time out to play and laugh and learn with them.

Pray with them. Even if they don't like it, keep doing it and they will know it's important. Be consistent and it will be a habit. Organize your baby's life.

This window of opportunity is not very wide. It will last only a short period of time. While they are listening to you, speak into their lives. Let them speak (give them the chance to speak/voice out) and they can learn to express themselves, so they will be open to you. If you don't take time to listen to you when they are young, they will not listen to you when they grow up.

Do today what can only be done today. Cannot postpone today's prayer and pray 2 times longer tomorrow. The danger, the trap lies in the promise of tomorrow!

It's when we are young that we learn the lessons that form the basis for a whole life.

Robert Fulghum ~ ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate-school mountain, but there in the sandpile at Sunday School. These are the things I learned:

- Share everything.
- Play fair.
- Don't hit people.
- Put things back where you found them.
- Clean up your own mess.
- Don't take things that aren't yours.
- Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
- Wash your hands before you eat.
- Flush.
- Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
- Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
- Take a nap every afternoon.
- When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together.


2. To dispel the illusions.

i) I've no choice
ii) I'm busy all day
iii) The slower day is coming - eg: one day, when papa is free, we go to beach.

Busyness is often created from within.

If you accept in your heart that money/career is important, then your child will grow up with that.

Romans 14:5
One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.


3) Catch them telling a lie

Proverb 19:5

This is a process of being independent. Don't go crazy, screaming and yelling at them. Instead take the opportunity to sit them down and talk to them.

4) Kiss your wife in the kitchen but fight in the bedroom

Ecclesiastes 5:18
This is what I have observed to be good: that it is appropriate for a person to eat, to drink and to find satisfaction in their toilsome labor under the sun during the few days of life God has given them—for this is their lot.


The best thing a father can do for his kids is love their mother.

5) A father's expectation is a powerful tool.

Set expectation base on activities and not performance. Eg, be punctual. You're expected to finish your homework by tomorrow, instead of setting expectations like you must get 10A's.

Set expectation based on attitude.

Micheangelo - The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.

I pray that our kids will grow up carrying the image of God. Hugs!

1 comments:

  1. Totally true especially when you say that the best thing the father can do for his kids is to love the mother.

    ReplyDelete